February 1: Funny day at the bank...

So yesterday a woman walked into a bank with two kids... oh sweet baby Jesus, when am I going to learn!?!? I had to get five documents notarized and two cashier's checks... "How bad could it get?" I asked myself as I walked in. Seriously, you would think I'm completely daft. I got on the list for notary services, and then got in line for cashier's checks. When I got up to the counter, I put Little B up on the ledge (at the teller's insistence, so she could chat with him). Well, Little B decided to take apart the chocolate bar display. I tried to contain him, but it was a half-hearted attempt, as I thought they were like the little lollipops of my childhood (that is, FREE and for the taking). After Little B took all of the chocolate bars apart, the teller told me that the chocolate bars are $1.50 each. Thanks for that.

As I wrapped up our transaction, A bellows out, "Mom, I gotta go to the bathroom. NOW." I smile at the teller. She indicates there is no public bathroom, but that we could use the employee bathroom. She graciously let us into the back room, and I had A go into men's room (there was no one in there). I close the door and let him ... get going. Well, we stand there (the teller, me, and Little B). And stand there. And stand there. All the sudden, there's singing. (That's my boy!) "Dashing through the snow..." I poke my head in. "Uh, buddy, how about you stop singing?" To which he responds, "Why would I do that?" Well. OK. Singing resumes. We wait, longer. Little B gets bored. He starts tearing apart the waiting room. The teller gets Little B a balloon. Harmony restored. The serenading shifts to other Christmas carols. Good times. I poke my head in and ask him to hustle. I mean, seriously. After another 10 minutes, A pokes his head out. "Say," he says, "Can I have a balloon, too?"

I thank the teller, once again, and head to the notary. The boys played calmly with their balloons while the notary completed her thankless task, except that Little B decided he wanted to leave, so every time someone came in the bank doors, he would run to the door, trying to escape. If I ran to pick him up, he would start shrieking like a banshee.

I looked through the cashier's checks once again and noticed that the amounts were wrong. Well NUTS. Back in the line, again. Back to the poor teller, again. Little B dives into another pile of chocolate bars, again. It's like Groundhog's Day, but not the cute movie.

And here ends the sorry tale of M, at the bank, yesterday. Let this be a lesson.

Today was much less frustrating. The sun was shining, so we went on a nice walk. Mimi, Hea, and Henry came over for a visit and dinner. Lovely all around. Henry is adorable and starting to stay awake a little bit longer at a time. G and I are feeling better, so we got to actually hang out with the little guy for a bit. He. Is. CUTE. He looks so much like my Grandma, which is a little crazy. I don't see a ton of our dad's family in Mimi at all, but Henry is *all* dad's family. Crazy cute!

Comments

  1. First: why would you start any adventure with your kids with the question "How bad could it get?"? Seriously, have you not learned anything?

    Second: change your picture, it's from December 2009...that was over a year ago!! If you need a new family photo I know a great photographer...and she's cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! I love that A was singing Christmas Carols for over 10 minutes. Adam and I were laughing so hard. Then I remembered the day that I took A and R to the rec. center for gym time and had the "poop incident" in the bathroom... I believe I said I'd NEVER have children after that. What a fibber I turned out to be..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts