Fossil, Day 4


Sadly, we went home today. I will admit that when we booked this trip, I was very, very unsure that we would enjoy ourselves. I've driven through Eastern Oregon a few times while driving across country to Oregon, and didn't really enjoy the drive. That being said, I was on a highway, and didn't really take the time to get to know the "rest of Oregon." I think, in retrospect, that was a grave error on my part. I thought that the cool things were happening in the population centers, as that's where most of the people are. While my thinking reflects poorly on me, I do not think that the thought process is too far from what many people believe. As I said, though, I believe it to be a error on my part, and one I am going to work to correct.



Also, I am a water baby. I love having oceans, rivers, and lakes nearby. Eastern Oregon always seemed so dry, so unrelenting, that I was a bit intimidated by it. Also, I grew up on a farm that was relatively isolated, and the isolation at one time seemed relentless. I enjoyed the city for its noise, its chaos, and the way it breaks down the earth into manageable little pieces. I don't know if it is getting older, or what our family has gone through in the past 18 months, but Fossil and the surrounding areas really struck a chord with me. For some reason, the wide-open spaces provided solace. I enjoyed that spaces were open instead of chock-full of houses, trees, and humanity. I usually enjoy having tons of people around, but this time it was nice to just be with our little family unit. In any case, Fossil worked for me.

 
While we drove home today, we did have time for a few adventures. We packed up, had a lovely breakfast, and let the boys play for a couple of hours in the B&B backyard. There was a family with five kids, and the boys had a ball with them. And basically just hacking around on the ranch. It was amazing how they could spend an hour beating on a wood pile. Why is it that I buy toys again? 

After we said our fond farewells to Nancy and Phil, we hopped in the van and drove to Condon, Oregon. Since we were thwarted in our attempts to golf at Kinzua,  we headed to the Condon golf course (see: http://www.pasturegolf.com/condon.htm). According to G, the course was not the best, but it was pretty much perfect for our purposes. As such, G, the boys, and I all played two holes (1 & 2) of golf. I was spectacularly awful, but that was not a surprise (it was my second time golfing). After our adventures on the golf course, we headed downtown to have lunch. We found a good diner, with vegetarian options (wa-hoo!). I liked Condon, quite a bit. The downtown area reminded me of where I grew up. It also had an eclectic grouping of businesses, including a solar and wind power supply store.

The drive back was gorgeous! The sun was out and it was just a lovely, lovely drive. Since we drove out to Fossil in the evening, we didn’t really get to see the sites. In any case, I’m excited to explore Eastern Oregon further.

Comments

Popular Posts