May 9: Parenting is not for the faint-hearted

I'm watching a PBS show on parenting. It just underlines my theory that parenting is not for the faint-hearted. Or squeamish. Yech.

Which leads me to a report of Little B's vocabulary, which seems to be expanding by leaps and bounds. He has mastered: Dada, Mama, Alex (not distinct, but you can tell what he's going for), this, that, no, and YECH. He's pretty clear on the whole like and dislike thing! :)

We had a nice day today. We got up early and went to breakfast. Little B was not happy, and having none of breakfast. He did take a good nap when we got home. While I was getting him down, G and A went to get groceries. When they got home, A and G gave me some lovely flowers and an awesome cable that I need for my office -- they do know the keys to my heart!

I made another batch of pumpkin muffins for A and B, a batch of wheat-free pumpkin muffins for Mimi. I also tried to expand my cooking repertoire, and tried to make haupia. Haupia is usually a delicious coconut pudding. I unfortunately got a bum recipe and ended up, initially, with wallpaper paste. It was potentially life-threatening if eaten. I ended up quadrupling the milk and coconut milk. It is now delicious, but I have enough haupia to feed a Hawaiian luau or two. Oh well. If you get a recipe off the internet, what can you expect, right?

While I was cooking, A and G were playing soccer and riding bicycle. A has been having such a ball lately. What a great kid.

After B woke up, he was still fussy... G had a moment of insight and checked (viola!) a new tooth! Little B cut a tooth without telling us (but boy, he did today). A little ibuprofen, a little Orajel... ahhh, happy baby again. What a relief!

I ran over to Target and picked up some plastic plates, bowls, and trays so that A can help set the table for dinner without fear of breaking them. I also got toddler forks and suction bowls (that *allegedly* couldn't be removed by little fingers. HA!). Well, Little B LOVED the toddler forks. Shrieking, clapping, and much munching of the pumpkin muffins (which, of course, you must eat with forks). The toddler bowls Little B mastered in about 30 seconds. Little monster! I was telling A about them and how they would let B feed himself more without making a mess when Little B flicked the bowl, broke the suction, and gleefully flung the yogurt onto the fridge door. A looks at me and says, "Uh, Mom. I don't think those bowls work." Yeah. Check.

Anyway, we made a very eclectic dinner, based on one of A and my favorite books: Bread and Jam for Francis. In the book, Francis has a lunch of cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches, celery, boiled egg (with a cardboard container of salt -- note a cardboard container is KEY), tangerines, grapes, and cup custard. Well, G mentioned that we should make dinner like Francis had, and we did! The only modification was that we made cheese sandwiches, and we added a little soup to round out the meal. Little B did outstanding with tangerines, grapes, cheese, and egg. A did an admirable job eating celery, boiled eggs, and taking tastes of tangerines and grapes. He also had a sandwich. Unfortunately, he had a too-big bite of cup custard (which was, in actuality, haupia), and got sick. Oh well. A pumpkin muffin with butter and all was right with the world again.

Little B had a wretched night with his teeth. I was up with him from 9 pm to 12:30 am. He woke up again at 1:30 am and G held him until about 3 am. B then woke up at 4:30 am and I held him until about 5:30. Then the little monster woke up at about 6:30. I'm getting tooo old for this little sleep. Not good!

Comments

Popular Posts