December 10: Wow. Just, Wow.

This week has been brutal. I'm getting sick of typing stuff like that, but there you go. Last Friday (a week ago today), G took Little B into the ER because he was having headaches associated with vomiting (which is a sign of post-surgery complications like hydrocephalus or a brain bleed or other gruesome things). I took Big A to his preschool holiday party (a performance and potluck). I have to say that A did an awesome job with his holiday performance this year, but that it was a bit of torture to not be at the hospital with Little B. In any case, Doernbechers was not pretty. All of the "real" neurosurgeons were at a conference, and the residents were running amok.

It was pretty bad. In any case, and in good news, after four and a half days in the hospital, they determined that Little B didn't have hydrocephalus or any undue swelling. Unfortunately, no one has any ideas on the vomiting and headaches. And Little B has lost a lot of weight -- he's down to 17 pounds, 12 ounces, which is quite low. Little B still seems pretty tired of being in the hospital -- and pretty stressed out by it. He really just wants to sit on G's or my lap and snuggle and doze.

On Wednesday, I made an egg bake for dinner, which led to a nasty round of food poisoning. Or maybe a 24-hour bug. Whatever. Nasty in any case. Right after dinner, we went to get our long-awaited Christmas tree, which we got as far as into the house. I started getting the chills about two hours after dinner, and then things went downhill for me. G started getting sick at about 1 am. We both wanted to lie on the floor for about 24 hours so the world would stop spinning. Unfortunately, neither work nor kids were interested in G and I's health woes, so we both soldiered on.

After a Thursday morning of meetings at work, G was really unfit for further duty, so I put him in bed. I was at least able to take calls from bed, so I was in a bit better shape. I took Little B to an appointment at Doernbechers with the feeding clinic team. Hea was kind enough to go with us, as I wasn't really in any shape to be driving. The meeting was a little frustrating, as the doctor is pretty frustrated at this point and doesn't have a clear idea as to how to get him better. It was raining so hard on the way home that we actually were hydroplaning on the freeway. It was pretty nasty.

Today was a bit of a come-to-Jesus for me. I decided that G and I couldn't get depressed over Little B and just let him sleep all day. So after work today, I took Little B out to lunch, ran some errands, and then went to pick Big A up. He did pretty well, but got pretty tired with all the activity. While we were at the preschool, one of Big A's teachers told me that Big A's jacket and rain pants were stinky... that Big A was the stinky kid of preschool! Oi!

Well, I always kid him about being my "big stinky", but I didn't think he actually stunk. Well, with that insight, I did look at both Big A and Little B and noticed that they were looking a little ... rough around the edges. So off we went to Great Clips for hair cuts (it's a start). Both did admirably. Little B looks like a much bigger boy now (age-wise). Big A always surprises me at how much older he looks every time he gets a haircut. We picked up G (he was having the car serviced), and then I took the boys home for a big bath, hair wash, and soap-down.

Well, the Weebert boys are not ones to be cleaned up easily or willingly... as I was running the bath, Big A had to tinkle. Well, he missed the toilet wholesale and peed all over the shower curtain. Nice. Then I took off Little B's diaper and went to put him in the bath, and he had peed all over the rug (It was less than 10 seconds! Come on!). Well, regardless, they were both strong-armed into the tub, despite their protests, and were thoroughly cleaned. Well, the water did most of the work. I just provided soap and wash clothes. And a good bit of teasing.

We had pizza for dinner, and then we finally, finally, finally decorated our tree. Poor A is just a great kid -- he has been so patient to get up our decorations for Christmas. And in dealing with all of the stuff going on lately. And in putting up with me scrubbing all the layers of dirt off him. Now I just need to go launder his coats and other such things. Ick.

In any case, it has been a long week for us here at the Weeberts household. We could use some downtime, but that's probably not in store for us. I have to travel on Sunday for work and will be gone until Tuesday. We'll do our best, though! If you're the type to pray, we could use some prayers for Little B to stop vomiting and gain some weight.

Comments

  1. Haha, you forgot such teacher reads the family blog. As Big A and I are great buddies! I just stated his "COAT" was letting off a stink!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts