June 24: Well, the donettes have won.

This weeks has been a transition week. We're officially in the first week of summer break, and it takes a bit for us to get used to change. A has not been eating much, and we've had a lot of tears (A, not me). But we've also had some fun:

A is starting T-Ball. So fun and a bit surreal. A and I went to get his first mitt on Monday. I'm not really, umm, athletic, so it was a bit of a stretch. There weren't any sales people around, so I used my logic and reasoning skills (as opposed to any clue about baseball) to get a mitt. And then tried to teach A to throw and catch. He had a good time, but I'm not sure I'll ever make coach. The class itself is a hoot -- barely controlled chaos, if you know what I mean. :) Little B is rather happy to toddle around -- roll or toss balls, whack bats, the good stuff.

Play dates of happiness. I organized a series of play dates for A and his preschool buddies -- I just couldn't keep up with the play date requests, so we're doing one every Wednesday, all over Portland. This week it was at Oaks Park. Neither Greg nor I had ever been there. But it was great! They have a preschool special ($6.25 for 9:30 am to 11: 30 am, which includes snack and a story) that we LOVE! We did forget to have snack for A, which was bad, bad, bad, but we survived (if just barely).

Tonight we went to a free concert put on by THPRD (our local parks district) -- we saw the Cherry Poppin Daddies at a local park. So fun! We brought a picnic and ate on some *really* wet grass (a blanket soaked up much of the wet). Listened to music. Played on some play structures. A got his face painted. It was quite a lovely night.

Starting on Wednesday, we have actually had some sun and heat (well, warmer than the 50s and 60s!). The other moms at the play date were all admitting how we had packed along raincoats and sweatshirts because we weren't sure if it was going to up and rain. Today was gorgeous as well (81 degrees -- the warmest it has been this summer, I'm thinking).

Whew! I'm exhausted with all that we've done this week already. Tomorrow we were supposed to go camping, but Little B has not been sleeping well. Or eating well. He's not been a happy camper for us; I'm not sure if it is the weather or he's just not happy with G and I. In any case, we're sticking close to home this weekend. I'm just not sure what we are doing...

Comments

Popular Posts