March 3: How things have changed

Today was an interesting lesson in how modern medicine has changed our lives. A woke up this morning with a huge rash -- from his nose to his navel. I *freaked* out, but tried to keep my cool in front of A. G was much cooler than me. We thought he might have gotten something from gymnastics or had an allergic reaction. I emailed A's pediatrician, and got an appointment set up this morning.

When we went into the appointment, she looked at A and said, "Wow, he has scarlet fever!" I was immediately plunged into parental panic. Holy crap, scarlet fever made Mary Ingalls go blind in the Little House on the Prairie books! Beth, in Little Women. Sweet heavens! Well, the pediatrician saw the look of freak-outage and quickly reassured me: scarlet fever is just strep throat plus a rash. A normal course of antibiotics (just like for strep throat) will knock it out. Just amoxicillian. Ironically, A was diagnosed with strep throat exactly one year ago today!

It's one of those things where I think of today as a pain in the butt -- the kid's sick. His brother might get sick. We have to remember to do the antibiotics. Have to keep him out of school for a few days. But then, I think about how I would be feeling if I received this diagnosis 200 years ago -- this would potentially be a death sentence. Or at least a significant, potentially life changing illness. It is gut-wrenching to even type. All I can say is that I love Western medicine. Say what you will about Western medicine versus traditional medicine, but if my kid is sick, I am going to go straight for the Western medicine any day of the week.

Also, props to Kaiser (our health care provider). They just freaking rock. I love the integrated health care solution they provide. I love that the pediatrician, lab, and pharmacy are all under the same roof. I also set up an optometrist appointment for A. They are in the same building, as well.

Ok, enough musing. A is doing relatively well and is mad at me for "making" him stay home. He wants to go play with his friends. One positive thing for A, though, is that he got like three Popsicles today. He's loving the Popsicles. I can tell he's sick, though, as he took another 2-hour nap today.

Baby B refused to nap today. I think the kid had about an hour in naps today. The little monster. He was *so* tired by the time we got through dinner. Little monster. He's grinding his teeth like mad lately -- I'm not sure why he's doing it, but pray that he gets over it soon.

In any case, I'm going to bed early, as this day has held quite enough drama. ;-)

Comments

Popular Posts