September 3: Boys - 1, Mommy - 0

Today was a learning day for me. Painful, but educational. It all started out mundanely enough -- breakfast, Super Why (a PBS show), and planning our day. While A was watching Super Why, the character asked what the letter "C" was. A appropriately said "C", then the character asked, "What sound do the letters C-A-T make?" A replied "Meow!"



Then I took A and B to Great Clips so that A could get a back-to-school haircut. He did a great job and proudly informed the hair stylist: "We need to go super-fast, I'm getting a donut after we are done with my haircut!" We then ran over to QFC and got a donut with chocolate icing *and* sprinkles. Delish! Then Mommy got a bit crazy.

We ran over to Freddies to shop for school things and clothes for A. A has been running around the house without pants on most of the summer, and is pretty unaware of his clothing, which is fine. But I thought I'd try to increase that awareness by letting him pick out some clothes. Well, you would have thought I asked him to cut off his arm! Good lord. He chose rocket ship pjs over football pjs, so I called it a mini-victory and then went to the shoe department. Freddies was having one of those "super" sales where they increase the prices on everything dramatically so that they can say they are having a 60% off sale. Ridiculous! I did find two pair of cute shoes (or so I thought) on clearance, and they were actually pretty reasonably priced. A was skittering off and not listening to me repeatedly asking him to stay near me, so I said, "OK, well, it's time for us to get going. Are you coming with me?" To which A responds by crawling over to me, hugging my leg, starting to cry and saying "PLEASE don't leave me again mommy! PLEASE!" There are a half dozen matrons just staring at us. Little monster! At that point, I decided to get out of Freddies before something else regrettable was said. We made good time...that is, until we got to the lunchbox aisle.

I thought I'd just pick up one of those lunchboxes you toss into the freezer and they get nice and cold and keep your lunch cool. Well, A saw a "Lightening McQueen!" tin lunchbox and OMG, just had to have it! I am such a freaking fool -- what was I thinking going through the lunchbox aisle with him? OK, well let's just say that we now have a tin lunchbox with a big red car on it for A. It might become a toy container, so that we can go back and get a cooler-like lunchbox, but that's a battle for another time.

We got home with a screaming A and B, and mommy playing the radio rather loudly. God bless 94.7! We took our hard-won purchases into the house to show daddy... Dammit! I got the wrong size of socks for A. And the cute, clearance priced shoes I bought for A were GIRL shoes-- they had screaming PINK everywhere! How did I miss that??? Crap.

Well, I had chatted with Hea last night and we talked about having lunch. We all went to Red Robin and had a great lunch. G left and went to work and Hea had to go fight a rather unfortunate speeding ticket. I thought, well, I'll just go exchange these socks and shoes. Seemed like a good idea. Well, B was sleeping when we got to Freddies. God bless him. A jumped out of the van and hurt his feet. He got pretty hysterical, so I had to put him in the cart because he "couldn't walk" -- and let's be honest, I thought it would be better to just have him corralled. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the mood to help me get him in the cart, so we basically turned over the cart trying to get him in. Hi-larious to the guy also heading into Freddies. Thanks, fella.

Once we got our black and PINK shoes and the baby socks (again, what was I thinking?) returned, we ran and got the correct socks, and cruised by the clearance shoe table (seriously, I'm a sucker for punishment!). I found the shoes I thought we were originally buying, just nice, black Vans. They were in A's size, so Bam! I grabbed them and we headed for the checkout. A is still upset about being stuck in the cart. He's telling the checker all about our day, but interspersing a number of sword fights and rocket ships. She's laughing. A lot.

Well, we get into the van, B is screaming at this point, poor little punkin. We get home and got B fed. I pull out the hard-won black shoes, and the security tag is still on them. Which means another trip to Freddies. And when I go back there, I think I'm going alone.

Comments

Popular Posts