Sept 5 and 6: Chilly, wet weekend

Well, it was one of those nondescript weekends in all honesty.

On Saturday, we really just plugged along. I did a lot of cooking the basics -- red beans, black beans, rice and seitan. I tend to make huge batches of dried beans and whatnot, and then freeze them. It's cheaper than buying canned beans, and no sodium to worry about. Also really easy to do meal planning... I know it sounds really lame, but it's what we did.

G got out A's highchair, which we repurposed for B. Somehow, we managed to lose the padded cover for the seat, so we put a replacement one together using my old waterproof backpack that I made for a trip to Chile. I was a little surprised that Graaco doesn't make replacement seat covers, but oh well. The backpack cover works like a charm, and can be either wiped up or hosed off depending on how full-contact the eating gets!

This is going to sound weird, but I made vegan "riblets" for dinner. So delish! It was a seitan recipe I found online, and A, G and I really enjoyed it. Seitan is wheat gluten, which is super high in protein and low in fat. A ate the seitan really well. What a "good eater" we're raising!


On Sunday, Mimi came over and we did some hand-sewing on some dresses she has been working on for a dear friend's wedding. A and B just sorta played a bit. A and G worked on their Thomas Train sit-on toy (I'll post a photo when it is done!). G really likes to do projects with A, and the Thomas Train was A's idea.

G went to band practice, and had a great time. I really like that G's in a band again. It seems much more "normal" for us! Like somehow, we're getting back to normal, whatever that is!

When A woke up from his nap, we watched a little Bob the Builder and did some play sword fighting with the swords Carrie brought him. Carrie, thank you again for those swords! You have no idea how much joy you have brought to A!

For dinner, I made vegan red beans and rice with this seitan sausage I made on Saturday. It was really quite good. I wish I would have had more time to make cornbread and some greens with it, but oh well.

Comments

Popular Posts